Cane Chair Makeover x 3 – Same But Different

I picked up 3 identical cane chairs and had plans to give them all a different coat of paint. They were tired and sad looking and in need of some serious re-vamping! I completed these about 2 years ago and it was the first time I reupholstered a seat. I don’t think that’s what you would call it, maybe the term is “I replaced the seat”…? Whatever you call it, it was SO easy! I apologise in advance, I do not have step by step photos, as at the time I didn’t know they would have a place on my blog 🙂

I don’t have a before photo of all three of them together in the one shot, but they really were identical, so you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all!

IMG_9601

The first thing I did was remove the existing seat. I basically “popped” it out and removed any nails. I then removed the exisiting cushion & cover and, well…ditched them, keeping the piece of timber used as the seat. I already had fabric at home (score!) so all I needed was spray paint & new foam cushions. I bought the foam from Clark Rubber and they kindly cut them to size – to make it easier I took the piece of timber with me, so they literally traced around it.

Next, using craft glue, I drizzled some glue on the timber seat and stuck the foam to it. This will insure it will stay in place and not wiggle about over time. I then placed my material wrong side up on the floor and positioned the seat cushion side down on top. I then pulled the material up over & stapled it in place with a staple gun. Once I stapled the first side of material, I moved to the OPPOSITE end so I could pull it tight and staple. I then completed the remaining two sides, ensuring to tuck in as I go (think hospital bed corners!). The seats were ready and waiting for the chairs!

I gave the chairs a sand to remove what was remaining of the existing gloss. This had to be done so the paint could stick to the surface. I cleaned off any dust and started spraying. When spraying, you must keep the can moving so you don’t get drips on any area. I sprayed in the garage, with large drop sheets covering the floor and the doors open to provide ventilation.

Once the paint was dry, I placed the seats back in position. I didn’t even need to nail or glue them in, because they were a perfect snucg fit.

So here they are…the first is YELLOW:

IMG_9361<

The second is a bright RED:

IMG_9360

The third is a deep PINK:
IMG_9600

3 chairs, 3 styles!

IMG_9295